Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Last day in Roma

Day 3 Rome What to do today.....spanish steps and Trevi fountain I think...not too much rushing around. I will walk into town after a delicious big breakfast. Had breakfast with the director of drama in Victorian schools and his lovely wife and son. He was amazed that the waiter automatically bought me two cappuchino, one when I walked in, and another about 15 minutes later...no need to ask. No drinking american style coffee for this black duck. I guess appreciation for people works wonders in this town. I thanked on my first day for such a lovely coffee....from then on he brings one on a smile. He said in broken English....australians are genuine, when they smile, they smile from the heart and I guess that is so true. The europeans seem to smile, but you dont really know what they are thinking....in that we are so different. The cab driver yesterday gave me his number, and to call whenever I need a cab. His charges are a little less than most of them...his cost 10 euro from the station, the others 13 or 14 euro... NOt sure how far I will walk today, huge blisters on my feet from yesterday...any way, on with the day. I saw the pantheon and Trevi fountain today....then the heat was just so oppressive that I decided enough!! Had a siesta, a swim and then went to get lunch where the locals seem to go ....yum, Pizza bought by the 100g and so cheap it was ridiculous...3Euro got me 2 slices of pizza of different kinds and a coke....and the taste of it was just awesome!! Bludged around most of the afternoon in the pool bar sipping vino and chatting to different people..met a lovely couple from Belgium who I have promised to visit and to keep in touch...really lovely people. So now....its 5.40pm, still so hot outside, so will go for another swim and then into the Spanish Steps for a meal at a restaurant that has been recommended...its the only site that I have really missed and wanted to see, so I will make the effort! Off to Capri in the morning....Train to Naples then ferry to Capri

No comments:

Post a Comment