Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Travelling ( a little long, but an interesting day)

Day 4 Travelling. It was sad to leave the hotel this morning. The staff have been so wonderful...we shared lots of laughs..and long conversations especially the night concierge Maurice who kept me company when I couldnt sleep. The breakfast waiter was a very sweet young man..he presented me with a goody bag for my travels, kissed me on the cheek and said he would look us up when he got to Australia. It is his dream to step on Australian soil. Inside the goody bag was fresh peaches, fresh pears, figs, apricots, bottled water and a napkin stolen from the hotel. I got back to my room with tears in my eyes for his thoughtfulness. Its amazing what a cheery "hello Antonio" can do and a conversation about his goals and plans for the future man he will be (he was the same age as Brent).....I obviously touched his life somehow, as he has mine. Maurice cried when he finished his shift and hugged me like a long lost sister. Virginia and I (the day concierge) had a huge belly laugh at the menu...Octopussy stewed with tomato and olives....She presented me with a souvenir menu...and the manager who was english when he was told had the biggest belly laugh about it too......I think its the last time Octopussy is on the menu somehow. When I left, I just felt like I was leaving good friends behind... The taxi driver on the way to the station was busy practicing his English on me and ended up turning off the meter half way there. The same taxi driver as I had before. He came within 10 minutes of the call from the hotel..Sweet.. I have found my italian is so much better than it was...I understand quite a lot. And speak a little too. OMG, the station was an experience....managed to buy my ticket in Italian, and ask which platform and time..10 minutes before the train was due to leave....platform change announced only in italian...I thanked my lucky stars that I could understand a little. My seat was booked on the train and when I got to it, someone else was sitting there....I even managed to ask him what his seat number was as it was my seat...turned out he was wrong carriage. I traveled sitting next to a Englishman who is in shipping for DHL, travelling on business. We chatted the whole way about business and life in general I would have perhaps got his name and number but he asked me out for dinner at the end....at which I said, but you know I am married, thats ok he said....not for me Pal, Stevo awaits..... Got off the train at Naples....thieves and homeless beggars everywhere. Really had to watch myself. This woman came up with a young child in a pram...oh please give me some money my bambino is hungry.....I pretended not to understand, and when I turned to ask a well dressed businessman next to me for a light...she called me a bitch...you understand you bitch she said to me...I fired back in Italian, sorry, but I dont give a shit. I do not give money to beggars with packets of cigarettes in their hands if their kids are hungry or not..priorities. I know I would do anything for my babies...and not pinch them to make them cry for strangers. Another guy came up to me to try to get me to buy something...he worked in a group and I could see them coming on either side...I turned away to protect my bag and as I did so I screwed my heel into his foot. Lets just say I then got a cab as quickly as I could....unfortunately he was a thief also.....the meter must have already been running and I was stung....when I argued the price, he said, but no...definitely am going to watch myself when I go back to Naples....in fact I wish I didnt have to...but to see Vesuvius only and pompei..thankfully only three nights...One night when I travel from positano, one day at vesuvius and and pompei, one day relaxing and I am out of there.......thank goodness for getting a 5 star hotel for this bit. It was so different to Rome and I just felt so on edge and very aware that as a female on my own i am more vulnerable. Got the Ferry to Capri and stood outside on the deck the whole way...it was so good to feel the salt spray in your face and the inside smelled a bit of diesel which I know makes me feel yuck, so I was far better. I definitely have sea legs, everyone else out there were staggering and i just rolled with it...I guess growing up around boats has me very used to it. It was so nice to feel cool after it being so warm in Rome and Naples. I landed in Capri and its like a totally differennt world... got a cab at the ferry terminal to my hotel, it cost 27 euro.....ouch, but the driver said to me, if I need a lift up the hill from now on, and i see him down the hill he will take me for nothing.......he also offered a tour of the island for nothing tomorrow. He seemed very genuine and usually I am a very good pick of character. I will ask about him at the hotel first though. I got to my hotel, and its truly everything I dreamed of.......welcome cocktail ..at the bar...friendly staff and when I got to my room, I could have cried, it is just so clean welcoming and beautiful with my own little courtyard with sunlounges and table overlooking the most incredible view, spa bath in my bathroom and pool about 40 steps down and the room was so cool with the air conditioning. I think thats why they get you to have a drink in the bar, to get the room cool before you get to it.......wow...I am pinching myself...I am in a dream...it makes up for all the trials of my day. just amazing, special and everything I could have hoped for. Oh by the way I overlook brad and angies yacht and sophia lorens house.. I will take photos when I get new batteries for the camera this evening. Oh and the drinkies are so cheap here at the hotel..5 Euro for a cocktail and 3 for a vino, 3 for an italian beer or 4 for imported!!! Met another lovely couple from Perth who I will have dinner with tonight, and another couple on their honeymoon from Peurto Rico...hey stevo, we have friends to stay with now in South America...Something tells me this is my dream!! And to my beautiful friend Megan Castran...thankyou for showing me the goal I was seeking and the guts to get there!!

1 comment:

  1. miss t here sitting here smiling at your adventures after already doing your trip have a blast hun the minute you board the plane to come home you will be working out a way to go back

    ReplyDelete