Friday, August 13, 2010

New job..new outlook!

Well, I landed the job which is just awesome. I think I will really like working there. The winery is about 10-15 minutes from home, a leasurely country drive. The winery itself is absolutely serene. I pulled up there and immediatey felt a serenity come over me..peaceful. The view out of my office window is looking up the valley with gum trees and vines...the office itself is very new, very modern and well appointed. A place for everything. The other office workers are all younger than me. Great, I fit into a younger crowd! I am so looking forward to starting work on Wednesday! I really must send thankyou cards to my 3 referees....apparently they gave me glowing references to the point of adoration...I guess its picking the referees that just respect all you do so much.
I feel so much better today than I have felt since about April....the prospect of finding a job that fit my family was daunting....but its the past now. I find to that I am so much better if I have my shower early, straighten my hair and put make up on. Its like a preparation for the day. Yesterday I didnt do that. The kids were late to school and I looked like a train wreck...the teacher asked me if everything was ok...thats how bad I looked. I guess they are so used to seeing me dressed to the nines and fully made up and confident. It makes such a huge difference..the simple act of putting on makeup.
I have a hugely busy day today, mainly because I have procrastinated so much over things. I have to prepare the treasurers report for the Rainbow club, buy presents for the outgoing committee members , do the banking etc etc....the list goes on. My treat to myself after I have finished that is to start on my wall mural. I am going to paint a dawn autumn forest scene on my wall...something dreamy where you feel as if you could lose yourself if you take a few steps in. I hope I can do it justice..I used to be good at drawing trees when I was at school and saw a painting that I adored last week in South Yarra....$20000 was the price tag on it...if I had that sort of money I would have bought it on the spot.
Stef was star of the week at Barwon Valley School this week...for good handwriting. I couldn't believe it, but Stef wrote her name for the first time last week! Steve and I both had tears in our eyes when we saw it...lets just say, the paper has been laminated and will be framed. It was just awesome!
Brent chose his subjects for year 12 yesterday. The teacher thinks he will go great..he is doing humanities...thats his strength. English, Maths, History, Media, International Studies and Legal studies. With a bit of luck and a whole lot of work, he will get As and Bs.....AMAZING for a kid the teachers thought was mentally retarded in grade 4. The legal teacher says he constructs his arguments so well and his oration of cases is way above his peers. In history, they said he has a mind like a sponge, and looks at history with a degree of scepticism of writing biases. He really amazes me. I look at all the hard work we put into that kid and it brings tears to my eyes just how much we have achieved. He is still challenging occasionally behaviourally and will always have some foibles...but nothing that will hold him back from his hopes and dreams.
Got Jack a new script for Ritalin...thank goodness...he really needs it! I couldnt believe that we have to see the paediatritian twice a year just to get the script....what a rip off. We go in there for 5 minutes..ca ching goes the doctors eyes.. $240 thank you very much. Ridiculous!
Had a phonecall from our local politician yesterday...at least he is recognising the difficulties we face at a day to day level now. I think pointing out just what it takes to keep this house running with 4 kids has been adventageous. Putting it in real terms...like how much washing and cleaning and running around I do. He has 4 kids himself, so he knows what it takes with normal kids...and I pointed out how much extra the special needs here takes. At least he has passed on the information to the appropriate pollies and has told me to expect a call from them within the next couple of days.
Anyway, on with the day..time to get the kids ready for school!

No comments:

Post a Comment