Monday, April 4, 2011

Turning Negatives to positves!

This week has been a tough one. Last Tuesday night, a beautiful little boy with autism, wandered from his home in a nappy....along a busy highway where he was almost hit by cars and trucks, and then onto a railway track where he was hit by a train. It made me feel so icky......so angry that no-one stopped to help him...angry that we still havent got a gps system or emergency data base, ..and just devastated for this beautiful family who has such ignorant people saying things like, where was the mother, what bad parents they are..etc. I had such anger and hatred in my head....Anger is such a negative emotion. It doesnt do anything but eat you up inside. After a good sit down and think, I thought, I can use that energy to do something different and that is to use that energy to fight for what is truly right.
Anyway, Im now on a crusade..a crusade to stop this ever happening again. The technology is out there....we just need to make people see that there is a need to get it readily available to families.
Striking while the iron is hot.......been on the news, and now to keep on putting pressure on politicians, and in the media to get gps systems for these families, and those for other people with disabilities such as alzheimers..so that we never have another tragedy like this happening again.
I have such vivid memories of times that Stef has escaped from home...how panicked and fearful I felt, wandering around the streets calling her name. I will never forget. And the time that someone knocked on my door and said, oh, stef is up on rennie street....having left my beautiful girl in a risky situation rather than get involved. Or the time finding Stef jumping up and down in a river because she couldnt touch the bottom. There but for the grace of good fortune tragedy was avoided.
Anyways, busy today, between getting in touch with media, and cleaning up the dross from the weekend, catching up on washing and stuff.
Oh and we went to the autism awareness day in St Kilda. Stef was priceless....was so excited to see two thousand balloons flying up, I thought she was going to take off she was flapping so hard...oh and the smile on her face was just beautiful.
Had a big fight with my oldest brother on Friday night. He isnt happy about mum looking after the kids while we are away. He just wouldnt listen about what extra support we are looking at having in place for her. I ended up hanging up on him as he has no idea what we have gone through as a family for our kids, or how important it is for me to take time out when we can. He is purely selfish.....not once in 17 years has he ever offered to babysit for us...not even for 5 minutes have I ever left Stef in his care...and yet he thinks he knows it all. He has no fricking idea. Anyway, he then rang my mum and tried to lay the law down to her ...that she shouldnt be doing it, and that she is too old to be responsible, and that she wasnt well enough. Mum is going through a bit of a flat spot.......understandable as she has lost 2 good friends in the last 6 months. It happens like that when you are nearly 80, your friends are dying off. What is important is to stay involved with life, seek out companionship and be with people and thats just what mum is doing. Mum rang me later and said that she is quite ok to look after the kids, and that everything is ok to book the trip. I really wish he would mind his own business and stop trying to control other people.
Anyway, on with the day.....lots to do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment