Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Deciding what my bliss is...

Not really sure where my bliss is, but I know I have to find it. I know it doesnt lie in accounting work for me..Its just a means to an end......but doesnt really make me happy. I feel that I am standing on the edge right now........just deciding where or what I really want. I am a big believer that if and when I find my bliss, being successful will come relatively easily. What after all is success but the feeling you are doing what you set out to do all along. Maybe just maybe it is in writing. Where are my strengths..what do I really like to do..where do I see myself. All questions worth pondering. Two things I know...it has to involve both sides of my brain and it has to fit in with what I want to do for my family.
I want a job where I can be there for my kids...to be available to them after school, to be there as a mum, as a therapist to help Stef learn to communicate and to be a truly stable person in their lives. Probably most of all to be the loving mum that all kids deserve and probably what I didnt get until much later in life.
So it comes down to me. What do I enjoy most? I love being creative. I love visualising something and then making it happen. I love to cook. I love helping people. I love writing. I love selling. I love gardening and swimming and being active physically as well as mentally.
hmmm.......more pondering is required obviously.

Anyway, on with what is happening today.
Jack has a curriculum day and 3 way meetings tonight at 6. It will be nice to have just Jack at home today. He doesnt get a lot of one on one time and never really has. Maybe I should spend a couple of hours with him today doing something that he really enjoys, some special Mum time.
I am going to try to take Stef for a ride on her bike this afternoon. Time to get her more active as she is gaining more weight and really, I can see it becoming more difficult to manouvre her as I get older. She is going to be very tall....maybe 5'10" and is very strong. Maybe a few more swims and rides in order.
The kids are all winding down for school holidays. Jack and Stef will be in holiday program. I will be writing to the federal minister for disability. It is in the charter that I should be able to earn the same sort of money as someone without a special needs child, and yet, I cannot get enough funding to provide an aide for Stef in school holiday program for 4 out of the 10 days. That means that I would have had to find private childcare for those days or take them off. When you add up the days that I can't get funding for over the entire year it adds up to far more than the 4 weeks annual leave that I would be entitled to as a full time worker. How can you say then that I am able to work as a full time worker??? I can't and therefore they are not sticking to the charter. I'm gonna fight it...its wrong especially for single mum's who are forced back into work when their child turns 6 and then cant work full time because their child has a disability. The other issue is with afterschool care. No one wanted to know as Stef would not get enough aide time to cover 5 days a week...and then privately it was hard to find anyone who was willing to take on a disabled child. The government really need to look hard at this. Time to get on my soapbox and fight for what is right.
Brent went to the Holocaust Museum yesterday. It was great to hear his understanding of what happened. It used to be something he joked about and I used to tell him off about. Last night his only disappointment was that it concentrated only on the Jewish, not on the million or so others that also were killed ie polish prisoners of war, the disabled, the homosexuals etc. He came back with a different level of compassion and that was great. Previously he showed no empathy.
Melinda was mentioned in the school newsletter this week. She is in the badminton team and now they have won their way to state competition. Very funny as she had never played badminton before she tried out for the team. I am looking forward to getting her involved in the sport as I loved badminton and want to play again myself. Just need to wait until her ankle has healed a bit more after spraining it last week.
OK, on to a busy day. I am keen to get into this supermarket stuff so I can finish it off. Its time for closure.

No comments:

Post a Comment