Monday, October 11, 2010

The challenge is on!

Today, I am going to ring every organisation I can, to see if I can get overnight respite care from any of them. I will also be finding out what length of time there is for residential respite care.
When I get this information, I am going to hit the politicians!
It seems that 10-15% of families with special needs kids get the majority of the funding with their respite care services increasing...yet the 90% are either on waiting lists or try to do it on their own. As with any community, some people seem to put their hand up for every single bit of help they can possibly squeeze out of the system. Just depends on their case worker or contacts how much help they recieve. It sucks when people are waiting years for just one weekend off...and others get 3 days off a fortnight and a couple of weeks continuous holiday. It doesnt depend on how severe the disability is either......
Carers respite no longer provide one off overnight care...they used to.....

Anyway, onward. Lots to do today, but have made huge inroads already. I hit the floor running at 5am and already have done 4 loads of washing, cleaned the kitchen, washed all the floors and have made inroads in the ironing.
Im a work widow again this week...it seems pretty usual at the moment to be on my own at least two nights of the week. Certainly doesnt make life easy around here. Yesterday we had fights with both the older kids about tidying their rooms. Melinda seems to think that because I clean Stefs room, I should also clean hers. Grr, she is 14 years old, surely she can put her own dirty washing in the laundry. Brent doesnt see any point, and had the gall to say the house was a dump...shit of a kid!
This morning I have to go to Jenny craig, and then do lots of Rainbow club stuff.....Thats another thing I really have a beef with at the moment. Lazy parents who feel they are entitled just because they have a special needs child. They do no fundraising and some of them wouldnt even sell a raffle ticket. It basically leaves 4 people to raise $20 000 for the viability of the club in the new year. What is it with the sense of entitlement that some people get.......its like the world owes them a huge amount because they had a special needs child....and yet they do nothing to make it better but suck it dry for all they are worth. These are the first people in line at the Christmas party for presents and food, but do nothing to get them. I think Im starting to get committee burnout..why should I work for these people 4-5 hours a week, when they cant even give 1 minute of one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment