Saturday, February 19, 2011

Legacies from childhood -good and bad

I realised yesterday, one of the huge legacies I had from childhood is my independent streak. I never ask for help...I just can't and even when help is given, I really don't know how to be gracious about accepting it.
My realisation came about when a friend organised a "secret" working bee at her house...for herself. Thinking it was a friend who organised it as she is going through a hard time, I put my hand up. In some ways though, now I have found out that she organised it for herself I changed my mind. I'd have to be half dead and totally helpless to ask for my friends to do that for me. Hey we could all do with a hand occasionally, especially with special needs kids, but to come out and ask for it...no.
I even find it hard to go to the charities for respite care...even though the government gives them the money to provide it....I really need to start changing my thinking. Stef needs all the help she can get!!

No comments:

Post a Comment