Thursday, March 3, 2011

the saga goes on!

Honestly, sometimes my life is just pure SAGA through no fault of my own.
I could physically strangle the disability coordinator at Lara Secondary School. The stupid fat cow couldnt organise a root in a brothel...HONESTLY! Whenever I went to the school last year I asked for the application process to be started for Brent to use a computer for his VCE exams and asked what we would need to do to get it. Brent has the handwriting ability of about a grade 1 child. He physically can't do it. He has major issues with the strength in his fingers and the coordination of his hand to his brain and fatigue in his arm. He cannot even click his fingers, open jars or move his fingers independently. The problem with exams and handwriting is that in order to get his writing even close to legible he has to concentrate so hard that he forgets about what he is writing. His work ends up a lot poorer. If he can use a keyboard, he can be an A grade student....handwriting, he ends up having work ability of about an E or an F. Well, we finally got the application form on Friday...or Brent did and he gave it to me YESTERDAY. Its due in on FRIDAY in Melbourne by mail! Ok, that leaves me 2 workings days to get a paediatric report, an OT report detailing his inability to write and an IQ assessment and get it to Melbourne. Great! considering waiting lists for the paediatritian is 5 months for an appointment even let alone an IQ test!! I rang the paed, and because I have known him since Brent was born and have been on committees with him, he has said he will sign a report if I write most of it. Last night I rang 15 OTs between 5.30 and 6pm...finally I got one to listen, and she has slotted an appointment in for him today..I basically bribed my way in...told her we would be paying cash, and begged her for the appointment, almost crying. Great, Im supposed to be working tomorrow!!! The IQ test just isnt possible.
Does this bloody school take any responsibility for this....No, well, I am putting in a complaint to all and sundry...the education department, the disability section of the education department, the regional disability coordinator, the regional education department head, the principal and the stupid fat cow. If that gets me no response, I will be taking it to the disability advocate as well. This school has been hopeless in regards to disability. I feel basically that for 6 years they have used Brent's level 3 funding for everything but helping BRENT! I asked for psg meeting with all his teachers....what did I get....the year coordinator...who doesnt even teach him.
This has been so stressful......its such an important application....and should have been given the attention that it deserved. If Brent gets knocked back on this, it will affect his long term future....and that just isn't fair. I definitely will be taking this shit as far as I can. Its been stressful, and perhaps another mother wouldnt have been able to pull it off....another child would miss out, simply because of inaction by the school, the lack of attention to detail, and the blase manner they treat disability.....tell you, they will be lucky if I dont take it to the disability advocate...IM SO PISSED OFF, ANGRY and STRESSED.
This week has been a nightmare!

No comments:

Post a Comment