Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A win!

Had the meeting at Barwon Valley School yesterday regarding Stef. I went in armed...with her work from last year, photos of journeys we make, and other stuff related to her abilities. The teacher didnt even know she could write her own name. Can't believe how little was passed on to her from the teacher last year. GRRR. Anyway, she went in with her list of goals, and I went in with mine...lets just say that all her goals were changed to include far more academic work and progression with speech. I also requested that Stef's netbook be sent home each night so that she can use it more for speech facilitation and that she be reassessed for an equipments grant to get more software. For a special school, they really are hopeless. More a child minding centre and I told them so...its a school for crying out loud!! When Stef got off the bus last night, I said to her, ha kid, now you are going to have to do work instead of play at school, and the little shit laughed at me. She knows that she has been slacking off and pretending not to be able to do stuff that she can easily do, simply because she has been put in a class with all non-verbal kids with extremely low iqs she has been expected to do absolutely nothing. Anyway, upshot is, more homework, more work at school on reading, writing, saying and word recognition...more work with maths and writing numbers. The stupid teacher said, oh I dont know how we will find time.....I said, well, are you a teacher or a child minder..this is a SCHOOL!! When I looked at their timetable, it was ridiculous.....less than 30 minutes a day spent on actual work...grr, seems as If I want this kid to learn, I am going to have to fight for it, and do a lot at home. The teacher also asked for a lot of my recipes and if I had some that didnt require mix masters in order to cook. I emailed her a heap, and then she asked if I could help teach some of the older kids one morning a week. I have to get a police check of course.
Cracking down on Melinda this week....piss poor excuses why she can't do homework...oh i left my book at school. Well, as from today, it isnt going to wash....No homework, no computer!!Same goes for Jack......no homework ..no computer!
Brent on the other hand is doing much better this week. He really is beginning to get it..came home last night and hit the books for a couple of hours as soon as he got home! His aide is working much harder and making sure he keeps in touch with me. I also need to make sure that I meet the teachers once a month, just to make sure.
Today is work...very busy there...time will fly!
Always heaps to do, never enough time to do it all....but I try!!

No comments:

Post a Comment