Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Appreciation of good food

Somebody said to me yesterday, that my kids are so lucky to have good home cooked and natural food. It struck me. My kids are foodies. Last night I cooked San Choy Bow..a favourite in this house. Usually I buy a kit, but last night made it from scratch. Jack piped up, this is yummy mum, even better than usual..not knowing that I made it differently at all, yet picked up on the difference.
My kids get home made biscuits and muffins in their lunchboxes...and the teachers comment on it. Both of us (Steven and I) can cook up a batch of biscuits in minutes, so I wonder why people just dont do it. This morning, it was a batch of chocolate muffins....made in less than 5 minutes..in the oven and ready to eat. Are we as people losing the art of cooking for ourselves.....do we rely on packet mixes, on pre made stuff. Who is teaching those coming after us? Last year in home ec, Melinda's class made pasta...out of a packet..Melinda pipes up....this isnt home made..its packet shit. She loves home made....and my kids wont even eat packet gnocci.... Its so much cheaper to make from scratch.
Anyway.....meeting today at Barwon Valley school about Stef. Hopefully I can impress on them the importance of treating her as a young adult, to have higher expectations of what she can do and that its the lack of communication that is the problem, not the lack of IQ. Have found evidence of her abilities and will present that to them.
After that a daughterly visit to my mum....being good lately, catching up at least once a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment