Sunday, April 25, 2010

Lazy Lazy Sunday!

Today is Anzac Day.
I guess we all have our own histories and stories to tell about Anzac Day. My paternal grandfather was at Anzac Cove as a baby faced youngster of 16. His is an amazing story. His mother passed away at 29 with Myocardia. My grandfather not long after this was placed in permanent state care by his father. His father just walked away from his 5 beautiful young boys at an orphanage in Melbourne. No one ever heard from him again. I have tried to trace where he went after this, but no record has been uncovered of his death anywhere in Australia. My great grandmother was buried in a paupers grave in a Melbourne cemetry. What would bring any man to abandon his children, but then he had a very sick wife for a long time, and probably found it difficult to work...who knows what he did, but I suspect that he suicided after her death.
My grandfather and his brothers were taken in by a family in the western districts close to the Grampians. They were treated very well by their adoptive family. At the age of 16, he enlisted in the 5th Lighthorse Brigade from Adelaide. He went to SA because they accepted his application as a ward, without permission from his legal guardian. He also took his own horse from the farm.
He was sent to Egypt first, and he is in the famous photo where the troops were on the pyramid. Then he went on to Turkey leaving behind his beloved horse in egypt which made him very sad. His Brigade landed at Galipoli Cove in one of the first waves. They settled into fighting Johnny Turk, but living in squalid conditions took its toll he got very sick with Cholera..and was sent to the hospital ship in the cove to recooperate. While he was on that ship, his brigade was sent over the trenches in an assault, and 60% of them were killed. After withdrawl from Galipoli, he served in France.
He came back a very sick man having been mustard gassed in France.
My grandfather was granted a parcel of land in Joel Joel near Stawell where he had 5 children. He passed away at age 69 from a heart attack.
I took great pleasure to find out about his time served from the War Memorial in Canberra.
We don't march, or attend Anzac service, but I always think about our history and commemorate it in our own way.
Today I have had such a lazy day. A day to really recharge the batteries a bit. I slept until 12, and although I have done some washing,k I really havent done a lot else yet. I will do some accounting work for rainbow club today and maybe get out into the vegie patch for a while.
Brent just got up and demanded everything his own way like usual. His arrogance really cheeses me off sometimes. He won't listen and has this totally annoying habbit of calling you totally disrepectful names when he runs out of argument. Melinda pipes into these too which really cheeses me off when she isnt involved and has nothing to gain.
Maybe too, I dont have the patience with them either. I'm tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment