Thursday, April 15, 2010

ON the cusp of major changes

Got a lot of work to do today. Catching up on washing after having the washing machine out of action for 3 weeks, getting the accounts of two companies totally up to date and doing a big grocery shop. I am hanging out to get one of these companies complete so I can walk away with a clear conscience and shut the door. I dont like leaving anything half done being a perfectionist.
I am so looking forward to the weekend. I think that I will get at least one job out of the interviews this week, probably even two or 3. If I get them all, I will have some pretty big decisions to make. One is a job where the company is small, but the pay will be good and the amount of responsibility and experience is large. It would set me up as a finance officer in any importing company. One is for a music festival which will provide me with excitement in the job, experience in organisation, experience in supervision of people and good hours. The other is a pure accounting job, with the prospect of furthering my career as an accountant and studying etc. All of them have benefits, all of them different and all of them a step up. I guess I will just have to look at the choice when the time comes.
Stef has mainstream school today. Its a little sad that this is her last year that she will be able to be mainstreamed. I love that she enjoys the school, loves the kids and the interactions she has with them. They really have been so amzing with her. When you take into consideration that she has no voice to interact with them, she really has some very special friends. They are so good at involving her in their groups, showing her things they are laughing at on the computer so that she really is just part of the class. It really is amazing. I think the other big thing that I see about sending her to a mainstream school is that all the kids in that school know her, and so even out of school we have lots of kids who will approach her. I think that most severely special needs kids because they go to school out of their area become very socially isolated in their community, they become almost invisible. Very sad. I hope every one of the kids she knows now will say hello to her when she is an adult. I think she has changed their lives too...they understand that even though she is different, she is very much a person, with feelings, love and a sense of mischief. That disability isnt something to be scared of, and that the community can do so much to help them just by inclusion.
I know, its my soap box...

No comments:

Post a Comment