Saturday, April 17, 2010

So much to do today

First and foremost is housework. The house looks as if a bomb hit it. I have about 20 loads of washing to do. Not having had a washing machine for the last 3 weeks has been a total killer, add to that a chronic bedwetter and a destructive autistic child who takes off her nappy in the night and you get the drift. Its now 6am and I am on the 2nd load for the day. I so hope I catch up to it all over the weekend.
Today is the first week back at rainbow club. Rainbow club is an organisation that provides swimming for special needs kids. I am treasurer of the club...I know......its not as if I have anything else to do with my time is there. It makes me proud to to do this sort of stuff though. Geelong is so lucky to have it. There are 14 clubs Australia wide, of which Geelong is the only one in Victoria and is the largest of all the clubs by a long way. Kids with autism can be totally obsessed with water. They have no concept of danger. Stef used to just wade in to any water, way over her head, very scary as we camp near a beach and river in Summer. Now she can dog paddle so well that she can outswim me unless I do a really good freestyle. More importantly, she has finally got it that she does not go near water or get in unless I am there. How cool is that? My dream is to hold an annual fundraising event that provides enough money to provide free swimming lessons to all our beautiful special needs kids. Rainbow club has saved so lives..It makes it all so worthwhile. We had a beautiful little cousin who at 2 years 8 months drowned in a dam. He had autism. If I can prevent one family the heartache that his death caused, my work will be all worthwhile......and it has, our Stef!
I hope I find out that I have that music festival job today. I want it so much I can taste it. I think the experience it will give me will help with Rainbow club fundraising but also the sense of achievement of pulling off such a great event.
The kids all had a good week. Bman is still trying to catchup on the work he conveniently forgot to do over school holidays. Im so proud of how he has stepped up his work ethic this year. He is trying really hard. Its only when I read past diaries and have a really good think about what school was like for him in the early years that I really appreciate how far my boy has come. We are so proud of him. I think that he is just so awesome!! He has gone from a kid who just crawled around the classroom 90% of the time and had huge meltdowns and spent 4 hours in every day in the principals office to a highly articulate, very very intelligent young man with a view to a great future! When I think of all the battles we have fought for him.......and won it makes me tear up. Now we just have to get him through year 11 and 12! The school was so worried that he couldnt do year 11......and look at him flying...they couldnt be happier and neither could we.
Gotta see if we can get a babysitter for tonight......I just so need to let the hair down and rage. Its my sanity. I thinks its so important that we take a step back and just be husband and wife for a while, and me just be me....not mum and all the other roles I have in life. It keeps me balanced and I know that when I dont take that time for me, I become less productive in every single other part of my life. Sometimes I just have to be that wild child! Yeah, I know, at times I drink like a fish, but I dont rely on it, and I don't drink every day, or even every week. At times in my life alchohol has been a problem where I have preferred to see life through the bottom of an empty bottle..but not now. Now its more just a release occasionally and a return to the totally outrageous crazy funloving part of my character! In all things there has to be balance.....a ying and yang! Work hard, Party harder is my motto, and I definitely work bloody hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment