Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Ndis

I took the kids up to the NDIS rally yesterday. It was great to see the number of disabled people who had come out in droves to fight to see the rights of disabled people honored. I think Stef really got it that we were there for her. She was such a great kid all day, even though she had a sore foot. She really was jumping around with all the chanting...although she couldnt speak, her voice was heard just being there. She was getting right into holding up her banner proudly. I really think that she got it!!! Our only hope now is that the NDIS is brought in, no matter which party is in power and isnt delayed in any way by politics and state of the economy. Its sad that if you have a car accident, you get all the therapy they can throw at you.....but if you are born with disability, you get little.
My only hope with the NDIS is that it isnt skewed towards physical disability as these things often are. Mentally disabled people are considered more able some how. How can this be so? Stef is just as disabled as a person in a wheelchair in many ways. She has no method of communication at this stage, is not capable of any personal hygiene tasks...and yet she is able to get into anything and runs amok. The respite care house says they need to put on extra staff when she is there because she is so busy....so in some ways she needs more care as they have staff for those in wheelchairs...they are easy to look after because they are basically stuck in the one place. Today I must organise the respite care we need for Steve to come to France with me. Lyn has offered to look after the kids for a bit, at least when she isnt in Bali, so I really need to organise around her. About 6 days I need....the other kids can look after themselves pretty much. I so hope I can arrange it.....I think its so good for steve and I to have time together and shared travelling and memories together.

No comments:

Post a Comment