Friday, May 25, 2012

What makes a happy kid?

I was asked by someone yesterday what truly makes a kid happy? After a bit of consideration I came up with the following answer. Lots of love, lots of affection, support for the person who they are becoming and stability so that they know what is coming next but majorly to feel that they are important in their parents lives regardless of other circumstances. I live by those paramaters....they are probably not all there with my own mum, or at least not until later in life, but I feel that my own kids have all of these things and I hope and know that they all appreciate it in their own ways. Wednesday night, Melinda said, oh I need to dress up as a superhero for school on Friday....OMG, left to the last minute again...I went into supermum mode, hit the sewing machine and the shops, and came up with a really good costume. Lets just say that MJ feels the love, that she is important in my life and that if I can make something possible to make her happy I will. Its not about money, but its about making sure your kids know that you put them first at least sometimes. Today she is going off to school all dressed up, feeling as proud as punch of a great costume, but also knowing that mum loves her just so much. Makes me feel so good. She looks at other friends families and says they are missing something.....our home might not be the tidiest all the time, but its a warm and loving home, full of laughter, full of support and most of all full of love. I think Steve and I can be so proud of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment