Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Promoted a little more understanding yesterday

Yesterday I met with Ian Trezise. I think he is getting the whole autism bit a little more. I took samples of Jack's handwriting and his reports. I asked him, if Jack were his son, would he want him going to high school without support..and he said no, it would horrify him. The one thing that impressed him a lot was the fact that I am so cool calm collected and how positive and full of energy I am. He was also amazed at Brent's story and how positive the outcome has been. I think that although I told some pretty harrowing stories of bullying, of failings in the school system, of lack of empathy by the education department, and the long term cost of not helping these kids, I wasnt emotional, I was clear, articulate and educated him. He thinks I should make appointments with every Victorian politician I can and that he understood so much more what we go through and that would be beneficial to all. He says he sees many families that come in and cry about their situation...but he saw me as a fighter, not just for my own, but for every kid and in every circumstance with different solutions for them all. An autism school would work for some, but not all, more support in secondary schools works for some but not all....we need a system that recognises needs....not only for our kids, but for normal kids and the teachers and for society as a whole, after all, its society that will pay the price of failing these kids. Oh and he was so unaware of the changing in criteria and will bring it up in parliament next week!! Onward with educating these politicians....next....

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you- you are inspirational. And thank you for speaking on my behalf- I am 100% behind you. well done.

    ReplyDelete